Pages

18.10.11

Thai Basil Chicken

I've warned you that I have a weak spot for Thai food. I don't ever try to make Thai curries though. Ever. Curries are Jay's thing and he mastered them to perfection. Maybe one day I will make him write down a recipe for me and I will share it here. But there are a lot of amazing Thai dishes besides curry so I try and learn new recipes once in awhile (about once a week or so, I like Thai food that much). 
Last night I made Thai Basil Chicken. I've made it before using a slightly different recipe but I liked this one better. It calls for coconut milk which adds extra flavor and richness to the dish. Oh, and did I mention that basil is one of my favorite herbs? Yes. Coconut milk, basil, lime, chili paste -what more can one ask for?

Thai Basil Chicken



Serves 4

Ingredients:
6 chicken thighs, cut into bite-size chunks or strips
1/2 lb fresh shitake mushrooms, sliced (any other mushrooms, like cremini, work too)
1 red pepper, sliced
1 onion, thinly sliced
2-4 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
2 tbsp minced ginger
3 minced garlic cloves
1 1/2 cup of basil (thai basil or any other) plus 1/4 cup for garnish
1/2 cup fresh mint
1 can coconut milk
4 tbsp light soy sauce
6 tbsp rice or white wine vinegar
3 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp chile garlic sauce or more to taste
Lime juice
1/2 package rice stick noodles
lime for garnish

Directions:
1. Soak noodles in warm water for about 10 minutes or until soft. Drain water.
2. Bring 2 tbsp of oil to medium heat in a wok and sauté onion, garlic, and ginger for 2 minutes until fragrant. Add red pepper and saute for another 8 -10 minutes. Remove from wok. 
3. Add 2 tbsp of oil to wok and brown chicken for 6-8 minutes until cooked through. 
4. Combine coconut milk, soy sauce, rice or white wine vinegar, fish sauce and chile sauce in a medium-sized bowl. 
5. When chicken is cooked through, add onion and red pepper mixture to wok. Add coconut milk mixture.
6. Add  1 1/2 cup basil and 1/4 cup mint and simmer until reduced by 1/3.
7. Combine noodles with chicken mixture. Add a dash of lime juice and cook for one minute. Serve with additional basil for garnish and lime wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment