Pages

19.10.11

Hungry for The Hunger Games

A couple of weeks ago I started reading The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. From the first few pages the book sucked me in so much that I had to make Jay read it too so that I would have a couple of guaranteed reading hours a day. The book is so well-written, fast-paced, and vivid that it feels like you are watching a movie while reading it. No wonder The Hunger Games movie is coming out in March 2012 (can't wait!). 
I'm on the third book now, and while I devoured the first and second, I have a hard time getting through Mockingjay. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I sort of got desensitized to the whole story after reading all three books back-to-back or that the last book is much slower than the first two with a lot less action and a lot more depiction of Katniss's thoughts and inner sufferings. While Collins is great at making my heart race with her action-packed scenes, somehow her description of Katniss's inner conflicts does not buy me. I don't recommend books very often but I think everyone should give The Hunger Games a try. The first two books definitely make up for the last one. 

On a side note, The Hunger Games reminded me a lot of Millennium Series by Stieg Larsson in how they both instantly became best-sellers and so many were reading them that I would be able to recognize their book covers even if I were colorblind, could not read, and was missing an eye. I only managed to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and even that was not easy. I guess I'm not a big fan of crime fiction. I haven't seen the movie either. Although I kind of want to since I keep getting people tell me that I look like Lisbeth Salander. After I heard it a few times I just had to look her up:


Yeah, ok, maybe a little. I'm still not reading the other two books in the series. Even if I were threatened to lose my one-remaining eye. 

No comments:

Post a Comment