Pages

15.10.11

Taste of Morocco

I love to cook. I don't bake (except when the mood strikes and I make a pie or some other sweet goodness a couple of times a year). I love to experiment and learn new dishes so I'm always on a lookout for new recipes. I can't get enough of Asian cuisine, with Thai food being my all-time favourite. My cupboards are full of spices, dry herbs, pastes and sauces.


Here I want to share some of the recipes that I tried and liked. Most of them will be Asian food (surprise surprise) but I promise to post an occasional French or maybe even Russian recipe. I will also try and take pictures of the dishes I make so consider it a fare warning (don't read this page of my blog on an empty stomach, is what I'm trying to say here).


So let my foodie-side come out and bon appetit!


I thought I would share one of my favorite dishes for my first recipe post. Since I like to explore and try new things there are only a few dishes that make it to my recipe book (which means I will make them at least a few times again). I've made Moroccan Nectarine and Plum Chicken Tagine at least a couple of times this summer/early fall. It's very easy to make, doesn't take much time, and tastes delicious! Nectarines and plums are almost out of season but you can still find them at a grocery store. Jay (my boyfriend) and I both love it so I make lots and it tastes just as good, if not better, the next day.


In case you were wondering what a tagine is: it's a North African clay pot with a dome-shaped cover designed in a way that during cooking all condenstion returns back to the bottom of the pot. Moroccan tagines are stews that are slowly cooked at low temperatures, resulting in tender meat with aromatic vegetables or fruit and sauce. Sounds delicious and tastes even better!


Moroccan Nectarine and Plum Chicken Tagine


010
adapted from Closet Cooking
picture from foodbuzz


Ingredients:
1 tablespoon oil
4 chicken thighs (bone in and skin on)
1 tablespoon oil
2 onions (sliced)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
1 teaspoon ginger (grated)
4 nectarines (stoned and sliced)
4 plums (stoned and chopped)
1/2 cup water (or chicken stock)
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup kalamata olives (chopped)
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup parsley (chopped)
1/4 cup cilantro (chopped)


Directions:
1. Heat the oil in a large pan.
2. Add the chicken, brown on all sides and set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a large pan.
4. Add the onion, and saute for 3 minutes.
5. Add the garlic and ginger and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
6. Add the nectarines, plums, water, paprika, cayenne pepper, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, salt and pepper, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
7. Add the chicken, lemon juice, olives, and honey and simmer, covered, for 25 minutes.
8. Remove from heat and mix in the parsley and cilantro.

Makes 4 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment